16 January 2009

African "fast-food"

Bon soir à tous! Just a short update for now to let you all know that I am doing well and surviving in Cameroon! I moved in with my host family on Wednesday and am very lucky to have Internet at my house - it is very rare here! My family is great and consists of Mama Solange, Papa Fernand, Patricia (who is 23 and goes to a private university here and does not live at home), Jason (11) and Bambi (8) who our my new brothers and never stop talking! I have a large room and my own bathroom. Tonight, I went with Mama Solange to visit a sick relative and then with both of my host parents for African fast-food. We went to a small stand in front of someone's house where two women were cooking beignets (kind of like donut holes from Dunkin' Donuts but way fresher and better and not sugary) and kidney beans. There was also a hot corn drink. We brought our own pots for everything and ended up with two types of beignets (one made of flour and one made of corn and mashed plantains), a pot of beans, the corn drink and some fish. This took about 10 mintues to get instead of the minimum of one hour it takes to make dinner at home. My Cameroonian dad told me, "This is African fast-food, like McDonalds" (which hasn't touched Cameroon, yet). This is Africa; this is Cameroon; this is the country I am growing to love.

I hope all is well with y'all. I definitely miss the State but am loving my adventure here. I haven't missed a day of malaria meds and am adapting as fast as I can. When I havemoe time, I'll write of our excursion to Kribi and the beach but for now, I must say "au revoir" - it's time for bed!

Love from Cameroon,
kmi

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't go loving the Country too much!! Xx

Annelyse said...

I am so proud/envious of you for being in a place so literally untouched by McDonalds (and all the figurative stuff that means as well). I got the package you and Mikey sent and my place is much more decorated now with your help. Love you and do tell of all your adventures!!!!!

iowafreak2011 said...

Sounds like you are imersing( you know about my spelling ability) yourself in the cultrue! Kudos! I hope that you ewjoy yourself!

LEADERSHAPE

=)

Unknown said...

Sounds soooo fun!!! Enjoy those kidney beans...I know how you love those so much! Miss you!

Unknown said...

Kaitlin! I'm glad you're really enjoying yourself. It sounds like your host family is great, and that's going to be maybe one of the most important parts! I'm also having a great time in Mexico...I wish we got to chat before we left =) Miss you and have fun!!!

Vanessa said...

ooo kaitlin! you're making me SO excited for my adventures to begin! keep updating... i love hearing about it! also, keep an eye on morgan for me! much love!

Unknown said...

Great to actually talk with you! If anyone out there has Skype --- it was great talking to AFRICA!!!!

H.M. said...

Love the blog...and so jealous of your adventures! Send postcards, send postcards! I love you!

Kara said...

I'm so glad you love AFRICA. :) :) :)

I walked by your ex-apartment and was sad you weren't there..but...I guess since the food is good I'll forgive you.

looove yoooou