Africans, and Cameroonians in particular, love Barack Obama. The title of this post is just one example. You may be thinking that I wish I was in the United States for this historic day, but experiencing it in Cameroon was quite possibly better. Ever since we arrived, I have discussed Obama: between us, the students; with my host family; on the street and in the market. First of course, I am greeted with "Ahh, la blanche!" (The white girl!) and then this is followed by variations of "Do you like Barack Obama?" As soon as I moved into my host family, my host brothers wanted to know if I had voted for Obama, and I respond with "Bien sur!" Of course I did! I've had many discussions with Mama Solange, my host mom, about Obama and they get pretty intense. It is interesting and a bit of a paradox because while Cameroonians love Barack Obama and are filled with hope since his election, but at the same time, many do not consider him black and are puzzled by the radio which calls his "la prèmiere président noir." But today, they claimed he was indeed black.
On the way home from school yesterday, Alie, Cecilia and I were in a taxi when we were stopped by the police. I think it was a routine stop, but turns out our cab driver didn't have his license with him. While he tried to find it, the police officer conversed with me in French, and after discovering I was American, of course asked it I was excited about Obama being president and if I had voted for him. This led to him asking me how long I was in the country for, if I was a student and what my number was at somepoint. Don't worry, I didn't give it to him, but he told me he'd let the taxi driver go on because he was driving me. Once we got through the police checkpoint, the driver told me "Barack Obama est camerounais!" I didn't want toget into a debate about Obama's Kenyan roots so I replied with "Vraiment?" (Really?) Later, when I recounted this story to Mama Solange, she told me that Barack and Obama are Cameroonian names so when people first heard of the black man running for president, they thought he was of Cameroonian descent.
Today, Barack Obama was the talk of Yaounde. In French class, Harry gave our professor, Joe Wabo, an Obama t-shirt and no joke, I don't think I've ever seen a happier person in my life. When we went to the market, when we were not being proposed to and when Ben was not being aksed by the vendors if he would exchange Kaitlynn and me, his wives, for a goat, questions about Obama were shouted. And tonight at 6, watching the swearing in with Mama Solange and my host brothers, I was, for perhaps the first time, proud to be an American as my host mom exclaimed "Dans ma vie prochaine, je vais naitre americaine donc Barack Obama sera mon présidente." (In my next life, I will be American so Barack Obama will be my president.) Especially after being here for almost 2 weeks, I am so greatful to live in the United States where there are so many opportunities for me and where I can vote for change.
Now, let that change begin, for America and the rest of the world!
Hope y'all had a great inauguration day, witnessing history being made! More soon about life here, my family and possibly a baptism this weekend!
love from Cameroon,
kmi
20 January 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
WOW! I am so proud to be an American, too ---- but prouder to have a daughter like YOU! Xx
Whoops, I missed it. Oh well. Nevertheless, I'm excited for what Obama will be able to do for the country in these next few years.
Kaitlin,
It is wonderful to read what you write and see that you are having such an amazing time in Africa. I have to say when I read what your host mother said about her next life, it was touching. I agree with you, it is one of those moments that makes you proud to be an American.
I would say, have fun, but I know you are! :-)
Leadershape AND Upward Bound LOVE!!!
Jill
Kaitlin -- what a wonderful entry! Glad you were able to experience the event in such a memorable way. Love, DAD
I know how you feel. When people find out I am American, the first thing they ask me is if I voted for Obama. Being over here for the election was chaos, too. The entire world loves Obama, it seems. While watching the inauguration on CNN I sort of missed being in the States in all the action. But like you said, it's such a cool experience to be abroad for too. Hope Africa is treating you well,
Kusjes,
Mary
What an exciting adventure you are on! I really enjoyed reading all of your blog postings and cannot wait to read more. Enjoy this amazing experience and stay safe!
Quite frankly, if I were that police man Iwould have done the same thing ;). I am glad that you get to experience positive feelings towards Americans. In some countries, people hate America! Hope you are having fun and soaking it all in!
Enjoy!
Your entry makes me proud to be an American, too! Your host family sounds SO cute and I love that policemen are hitting on you!!! hahaha.. i made a blog so find it and read it this semester! xox
Hey!! Well im glad to hear that things are going well! Thats soo exciting! It sounds so different and fun there! Im sure you will write more and want to here everything! You arent missing anything in carlisle haha still same small town! Hope all is well!
What an amazing way for you to experience the inauguration of Barack Obama - in Africa! You are going to have so many wonderful experiences during your time over there! Your entries are soooo interesting to read from your perspective! (And MOM - what a wonderful GOD Daughter Lou and I have!) Hee-Hee! Kathy Liro
This is an amazing entry!!! I was an awesome inauguration--besides John Roberts messing up the oath----haha. Hope all is well! Miss you lots!!!!
Katydid, thanks so much for these excellent posts! I am clueless - why did the officer ask for your "number" and why is it a dangerous thing to give it out? I'm so happy about your host family experience. Uncle Jim says that is definitely how to get the feel for the place. I think it's great that - because of Obama's wonderful new presidency - political discussions and foreign policy are just a moment away from even just meeting a person, for you there. Try to ask open ended questions so that you can really hear peoples deep feelings and potential solutions toward a better world. Feelings here in the states are sheer ebullience. People are really floating on happy clouds! Even in podunk Juneau, there is an Obama inaugural ball tonight, and thousands of people will go. Be well! We think of you constantly! love, Auntie M
Amazing. I hope you cherish these memories little. :)
This entry made me all teary. And I thought Obama's address was incredible. Love you tons!
Uncle Steve!!! everything in Africa sounds amazing! im so jealous, i want to drink non american orange fanta! tell your host family i said Hi! i watched the inauguration in school and it was epic ofcourse. hope everything is going well! love, tee-lair!!!
WOW!Cameroon must be just AMAZING. Your blog definately makes me want to study abroad with your host family as well. Im soo glad that your being exposed to so many great and most memorible experiences. FYI you are definately the bestest story teller ever. I normaly dont care much for blogs but i definately cannot not read yours.I love how very well you describe everything, i can almost visualize what it must be like in Cameroon! Kudos. Im soo very happy for you. I miss you loads to say the least but im so glad that your enjoying your self so much. It sounds like everyday is most definately an adventure. WOW. Five months of adventures. AMAZING. Thanks for sending me the link. My day has been uplifted in reading about all that your experiencing a world away. Love Nicole =) Miss you lots
Post a Comment