17 March 2009

Everything tastes better out of a glass bottle.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone! While it's not celebrated in Cameroon, obviously, I am still sporting the green today! Nothing too new and exciting to report, but here's some observations since I last wrote:
~ As I said in the title of this post, everything tastes better out of a glass bottle. Here in Cameroon, drinks at restaurants and bars are in glass bottles which you give back once done and they send them to the filling places for refills. Our group collectively has decided that every drink tastes better when in a glass bottle - no idea why. It feels more authentic, old-school, sophisticated maybe. It's going to be a huge shock once we get back and Fanta comes in a can.
~ I continue to be really lucky with my host family. This past Friday, I cooked hamburgers and french fries for them for dinner. It was so fun - my little brothers helped me the whole time and though a potato peeler was the best thing ever, even though I've discovered knives are easier. The meal was a hit and Jason asked me to make him one to take to school on Saturday to make all his friends jealous, so then of course Bambi wanted one for breakfast, too! We then proceeded to have hamburgers every day this weekend as well as steak on Sunday, so I'm getting over a red meat overdose that was very needed.
~ I was at the internet cafe calling my friend Ariel on Sunday and a guy in dreadlocks kept walking past my booth trying to make eye contact. Finally, he opened the door and passed me a note. Here is what it said, verbatim: "Hallo Lady, You are beautiful! I like the Afro costume you're wearing. You also have an impression of a lady I met while in Canadian. Sorry for any embarassment of inconvenience, I will like to know you if you don't mind. I am a musical artist." NO JOKE. Followed by his number. Also, I was wearing a normal shirt, shorts and a semi-African fabric looking headband. This is Africa. Of course, I have no intention of contacting him.
~ I went to African Dance class on Saturday night. Yes, me. It was fun, though I looked ridiculous and have never been so sore in my entire life. I could barely walk around for the past 2 days. Pathetic, I know.
~ My host brothers and I are going to see the premier of High School Musical 3 in Cameroon on the 29th. I'm psyched.
~ This past week, the government literally bulldozed many of the vendors' setups in the Marche Centrale. The pope starts his visit in Cameroon today, so they used this as an excuse to make the city look more presentable. While the market is overwhelming for me, it is the way so many people make a living, albeit semi-illegally since they aren't supposed to be there. But now they have no place to sell what is left of the goods they could salvage from the wreckage. The city is transformed and it makes no sense to me. These people were just trying to scrape by and now they have no way to feed themselves. The government here is absurd and corrupt and is choosing presentation in the name of development over helping the people and providing employment. Ridiculous.

Alright, I think that's about it for now. We're off to Bamenda Thursday through Sunday to visit a village chief, shop for handicrafts in the markets, talk about polygamy and celebrate my 21st birthday! I'm ready for a little break! Hope all is well in your corner of the world - I love getting updates, so thanks to those who have sent them. And also I got more mail - thanks Becca for the card, Mom for the pictures, and Fred and Kathy for the fantastic card and letter!

love from Cameroon,
kait

8 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I am the first oneeee!! Haha I just loved the note. That's about all. I have some stories for you too... Anyways, glad to hear you're lookin' fly and havin' fun =)

Anonymous said...

Okay --- So, now I'm curious what the comment said that was 'deleted by author' and ----- why the heck you don't contact the obviously intriguing man who passed you a note ----- I thought I brought you up better than that..... where's the sense of adventure??? My heart goes out to those who's 'space' was demolished --- and as for glass bottles ... I'm with you --- keeps fresher, is still recyclable, and thus far doesn't cause cancer. Hmmm --- what we can learn from other cultures.
Burgers for breakfast --- yummy!! NOT!!! HAPPY 21st on the 20th! Have a great time and enjoy a 'Happy Hour' or two ...LEGALLY!!!(by Dad's standards!) Xx

Annelyse said...

There was a big group of JETs that went to see HSM3 when it came out here, but I refused!!! I hope you enjoy it. I probably would have gone if I had been with wonderful host brothers. :) Miss you.

Ariel said...

Haha that was so funny when that guy gave you the note on the phone, I was like WHAT! And the dancing sounds SO FUN! Interesting perspective on the government, we will have to share "government stories" when you are back in the states :) happy early birthday.. I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, young woman! Have a great celebration. You deserve one! The Chex Mix is waiting!

xoxo Mr. and Mrs. T :)

Mary said...

KATYDID!

Happy Birthday, you wonderful woman! Uncle Jim and I really love your posts. How is your stomach - better? Did the medicine work? And.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Please stay safe over there!

love, Auntie M

Anonymous said...

Dear Kaitlin,
Happy Birthday, Sorry I am late. Rae had to log in for me to speak to you. I have been reading about you trip, it sounds like you are having a lot of fun!! I miss talking to you and talking about Grey's, so much for us to catch up on. We are sending you a birthday check through your parents so maybe they can get the cash to you. So hope your birthday was happy! We love you, Auntie Mary-Lu & Uncle Bill OOOOO XXXXX