29 April 2009

Only in Cameroon...

…will you go to a wedding where the bride rides into the reception (which though said to being promptly at 7pm, began only at 9:45pm when the bride and groom arrived – this being after the church ceremony that occurred at 1pm) on a white horse which then proceeds to poop on the floor when it gets stuck going under the balloon arch.

also this week…
I had some interesting taxi rides. On one, I got yelled at by the taxi driver for specifying the price. On another, Morgan and I were in the back seat with a woman who had gone to undergrad at Loyola in New Orleans and grad school at University of Georgia. We had a lovely chat! On the way back, we were getting into a taxi at the same time as another women who, when a guy on the street said he wanted to marry us, demanded he pay her the brideprice (all in jest!).

This weekend is my host brothers’ First Communion which means a HUGE party at my house! Both side of the family plus my friends – we have so many drinks and the food is going to be far too much for the fridge! It should be a lot of fun! The weeks are winding down, and GASP! I actually have work to do. Which I don’t remember how to do anymore! Plus I’m squeezing in as much as I can in terms of family time, souvenir finding, and still discovering parts of Yaoundé I haven’t in my time here! I’m savoring every last second here, and while I am psyched to go home, I am going to cry my eyes out when I have to leave Cameroon!

I hope all is well in your corners of the world – I will be seeing some of you before you know it!

Love from the land of kabas and beautiful fabric,
Kait

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup! You will certainly lead a boring, American lifestyle once 'home'! Sorry!!! Such is life .... "only in the United States..."
Xx

Mary said...

Wow - you've gone total Cameroonian, if you had a dust-up with a taxi driver! Good for you, dearheart! Take as many final pictures as humanly possible, and ask your Beyonce-Mom some of those deep, deep cross-cultural questions that you might not have asked yet!
Spring has finally come to Alaska and I'm crazy-busy with work.... new shows, new summer staff, new volunteers, wheeeee!
Enjoy your last bit of time there, and please be very careful on the way back!

Ariel said...

still all sounds so amazing, i love you!

Annelyse said...

Hi sweetheart! I can't wait to hear more about the wedding. Dan wrote about a Nigerian wedding and it sounded pretty interesting! I can't wait to see you. P.S. Right now I am in China and it is fantastic!! But I love Japan more.